Luminance Contrast Calculator
Contrast Colours is owned and operated by Morris Goding Access Consulting. MGAC has prepared this website to assist designers to comply with the luminance contrast requirements of AS1428.1.
We are the only Australian resource that assists Architects, Interior Designers and Builders with luminance contrast requirements under AS1428.1-2009 Appendix B.
Dulux has supplied the 4745 colours on the site. Just pick two colours that you wish to compare, hit ‘Calculate’ and the luminance contrast % will be shown
Register today to enjoy full use of our luminance calculator free of charge.
All luminance contrast requirements are 30%, with the exception of discrete tactile ground surface indicators (45%) and composite TGSI (60%). For your additional information, a page has been set up that shows the various building elements that require luminance contrast.
We have created a formula calculator that compares LRV colours, based on AS1428.1-2009 Appendix B.
Our calculator allows you to enter any 2 colours to give a percentage.
The resulting calculation percentage– if less than 30% fails the BCA requirement, if equal or greater than 30%, your chosen colours pass the BCA requirement.
* The contrast colours website is to be used as a design tool only and should not be used to verify/test luminance reflectivity of building elements during construction stage. Independent testing by 3rdparties is required.
- Calculates combined Luminance contrast in colours
- Access to more than 4745 colours
- View results immediately
- NO restrictions to numbers of calculations
- 24 hour access to our website
- Free access to all features